Below are quotes, documentaries, films, talks and people that have influenced me over the years to become who I am today and have the passions that I do.
Some of the films/documentaries have opened my mind to realities I was unaware of.
Some of them have shown me things I knew in the back of my mind were going on but did not want to acknowledge were true.
- Earthlings – powerful, emotional, upsetting and truthful. This film should be compulsory.
- Vegucated – I liked the format of this as it shows real people trying to live a better life.
- Forks over Knives – explores the health risks of a diet heavy in meat, dairy etc.
- Food inc. – looks more into the business of food production and it’s controversies.
- Cowspiracy – about the environmental damage caused by animal agriculture.
- Racing Extinction – features undercover footage of the illegal wildlife trade including a huge roof area covered in shark fins.
- The Cove – a look at the cruel dolphin hunting trade in Taijii, Japan.
- Blackfish – eye opening account of Seaworld and the cruelty of keeping Orcas in captivity.
- Gorillas in the Mist – a film about Dianne Fossey (a scientist who studied mountain gorillas).
- Samsara – Filmed over nearly five years in twenty-five countries on five continents. A script-less film of just images and music. An exploration of the amazing variation of human life & the natural world.
- WALL-E – A Pixar animated film about a robot – a peak into what our lives could become if we continue on our destructive path.
- Princess Mononoke – a brilliant anime film about the defence of the natural world.
- Watership Down – another but older animated film (not for children!) about a warren of rabbits who must leave and find a new home – explores issues of humans impact on the environment.
- Why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows – by psychologist Dr Melanie Joy. This woman is amazing, a great presenter and really gets down to the heart of why we eat animals and how this has created a gap in our consciousness.
- Why you don’t need dairy – from Viva! Eye opening look at dairy – the issues with health and animal cruelty.
- 101 reasons to go vegan – great presenter, humorous, informative.
- My mum – I know it’s a little cheesy but from when I was little my mum has inspired and encouraged me to care about the world around me. She taught me to watch ants, rather than squash them. I wish every child was brought up with this level of respect for all life, no matter how small or insignificant it seems to us. Every creature has a right to live and not have it’s purpose defined by us.
- Vegan celebrities, some who are relatively vocal about what they believe in. Alicia Silverstone, Tobey Maguire, Joaquin Phoenix, Jenna Dewan Tatum, Casey Affleck, Ellen DeGeneres, Natalie Portman.
- Anyone I come across who shows compassion towards others. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who goes out of their way to help other people and animals.
- Vegan Sidekick – check this guys Facebook page out. He brings humour and logic into veganism and the sometimes ludicrous arguments against being vegan. His cartoons are so on point and are an amazing way of sharing truths about the meat, dairy and egg industries without having to show the graphic, hard to watch real life photos/videos.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead
“People would rather believe than know.” Edward O. Wilson
“Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.” Native American Saying.
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” Jane Goodall
“Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.”