This is probably my favourite dish that I’ve discovered since going fully plant based. You can mix it up by adding different veggies and can use any type of pasta or even courgetti/zoodles
Serves – 1 large portion
Dairy free, vegan, easy, quick and versatile (wheat free if using spelt pasta, gluten free if using courgetti or gluten free pasta)
Total time – 30 minutes
I eat spelt pasta as I try and avoid wheat – this version was with wholegrain spelt penne. I have also made it with spinach spelt tagliatelle and that’s delicious too.
- 1 x ripe avocado
- A glug of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Salt + pepper
- A tbsp or 2 of water from the pasta
- 1/2 x Garlic clove (to taste) – I’d say this is a must as it really adds flavour – diced
- 2/3 x tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of peas (I usually buy a bag of frozen peas and put them in directly from the bag frozen)
- 1 cup of spinach
- Any other veggies such as mushrooms, broccoli, courgette – sliced fairly thin so they cook quickly
- Handful of chopped fresh basil (parsley also works well, or use dried if you don’t have fresh
Pasta – your choice of type. Or try with courgetti/zoodles
Pine nuts – as many as you like!
- Cook pasta to packet instructions (if using spelt pasta, put it on a bit later as it cooks quicker than wheat pasta)
- Meanwhile heat oil in pan on a low heat (if adding sun-dried tomatoes use the oil from the jar – if not use your usual oil)
- Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes, don’t allow to brown too much
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and stir for a few minutes
- Add other veggies if using, season and stir
- Whilst veggies are softening get a bowl and spoon out the avocado into it (also check if pasta is cooked – if so drain it and leave to one side – save a little of the water)
- Add a glug of olive oil to avocado, salt and pepper to taste and the juice of a lemon or lime
- Spoon off a couple of tablespoons of hot water from the pasta and add to the avocado
- Mash avocado (potato masher works well or just a fork) and other ingredients together in the bowl till its like a thick sauce (add more water if you want it thinner. I like mine with some chunks of avocado so I don’t over mash it) and set aside.
- Add pine nuts to a small pan and toast – keep moving – don’t let burn
- Add spinach to veggies in pan and stir in till its cooked down
- Add fresh basil or other herb like parsley to veggie pan and stir in
- Put pasta into a bowl, pour cooked veggies over, pour over avocado sauce and combine
- Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over and enjoy!