I love making these at the weekend when I have more time to spend on breakfasts. I usually have a smoothie or porridge so it makes a great change. Not that I don’t love smoothies and porridge!
I used to make them without the almond butter and they are still delicious without, however it really balances out the sweetness of the blueberry sauce and adds a creamy, nuttiness you just can’t beat!
Serves 2 (makes about 8 smallish thicker pancakes – not the thin crepe types)
Total time – 30 minutes
- 1 x ripe banana
- 2/3s cup of non dairy milk (I use Rude Health brown rice milk or almond milk which you can buy in most supermarkets now)
- 3/4 cup flour (gluten free if avoiding gluten)
- A drop of vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda/powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste – i LOVE cinnamon)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1-2 tbsp Maple syrup or honey (depending on how much sauce you want)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (use another bland oil if you don’t have this but it does add to the flavour)
- Almond butter – to taste
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees centigrade (to keep pancakes warm during cooking)
- Using a hand blender or food processor – blend the banana with the milk and vanilla until combined
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until fully combined
- In a large non stick frying pan or pancake pan heat the oil over a medium heat
- Using a 1/4 cup, pour the mixture into the pan to form pancakes (i usually fit 3 in at a time)
- Drop about 5 blueberries on each pancake (or you can mix these into the batter before)
- Fry for a few minutes, until the mixture starts to bubble and it has started to brown
- Flip over and cook on the other side for a few more minutes
- Place cooked pancakes into the oven on a plate to keep warm whilst you do the rest
- Whilst cooking the last batch, microwave half the blueberries in a mug with the maple syrup or honey to make the sauce. This will take around 30 seconds but keep an eye on it as the blueberries can explode! Or it may need a bit longer.
- Pile the pancakes on a warm plate and drizzle over some almond butter
- Pour the blueberry sauce mixture over and serve!