For the lemon curd I used this recipe – http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/condimentschutneys/r/lemoncurdcook.htm
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (I used soft brown)
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (I used Rude Health almond milk)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Line a 12 muffin tin with cases
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, sugar, non dairy milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until smooth (I used a whisk)
- Fill each muffin case about 2/3 full (the mixture will be fairly wet)
- Bake cupcakes for 15-20 minutes (remove when a knife comes out clean)
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tin, and place on wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled a little, use a knife to cut out circular piece of the cupcakes – put aside
- Fill hole with lemon curd
- Replace cut out piece and enjoy!
Alternatively you could make a vegan buttercream to top the cupcakes with or just enjoy them plain!