- 1 or 2 slices of rye bread – I usually buy Biona and they have a variety of different types with added ingredients such as quinoa and various seeds.
- Oil (rapeseed or olive work well)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 8 small tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 4 chestnut mushrooms (sliced thinly)
- A large handful of spinach
- A large handful of kale (shredded if in large leaves)
- 1/2 cloves of garlic (to taste – finely chopped or crushed)
- A handful of pine nuts (optional)
- Salt/pepper – other seasoning such as mixed herbs
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan or sauté pan.
- Slice the mushrooms and tomatoes and add to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper (+ mixed herbs if you are using).
- Whilst sautéing crush or chop the garlic.
- Once the tomatoes and mushrooms have softened (about 5 minutes) add the garlic and kale to the pan, stir occasionally.
- Put the rye bread to toast (Biona is quite long and may stick out of the toaster so I turn it halfway through toasting).
- Add the spinach and pine nuts to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes whilst the rye bread toasts.
- Slice open the avocado, remove the stone and use a fork to mash the avocado within it’s skin – it needs to be ripe enough to do this. If it isn’t quite ripe enough you can scoop it out, slice it and add it to the pan to soften
- Spread the smashed avocado on the toasted rye bread then top with the pan ingredients